Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visas - Perth | Australia

The temporary graduate visa allows recent graduates from Australian universities to stay and work in Australia after the completion of their studies. This is a temporary visa that is granted for 18-48 months based on the stream that you are applying for and your eligibility.

To apply for a temporary work visa, you must be a recent graduate of a CRICOS registered course from an eligible Australian university. The advantage of applying for a temporary graduate visa is that you can continue with your study, obtain a higher degree, and obtain the skills required to become employable in the Australian market.

Purpose of Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485

The purpose of the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 is to allow graduates of a CRICOS registered course from an eligible Australian educational institution get skilled in an occupation to become employable and contribute to the growth of the Australian economy.

There are two streams that you can apply for under the temporary graduate visa. These are:

Graduate Work stream:You can apply for a graduate student visa if you are a recent graduate from an accredited Australian educational institution. You must hold a qualification that is relevant to an occupation that is on the skilled occupation list. The duration of this visa is 18 months and this visa allows you to live, study and work in Australia on a temporary basis and also bring your family members to the country. You must find employment and not depend on the government for the same. The cost of this visa is $1,680 for the main applicant.

Post-Study Work (PSW) stream:You can apply for this visa if you have graduated from an accredited Australian educational institution, irrespective of the field of study. This visa allows you to study, live and work in Australia for 4 years. The duration of your stay is also dependent on the course that you are attending. You are allowed multiple entries and exits with this visa.

Graduate Visa Requirements

These are the general graduate visa requirements. For your specific course requirement, check with your student visa consultant or the official website.
  • The course you intend to apply for must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • The course language should be English.
  • The duration of the course should be at least 92 weeks or 16 calendar months.
  • You must be on a valid student visa.
  • You must meet the health and character requirements.
  • You must meet the specific requirements of the stream for which you are applying.

As you can apply for this visa only once, you need to apply for a separate visa, if you wish to stay, work and become eligible for PR after this visa. Based on your eligibility, you can apply for a training visa - subclass 407, Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa - subclass 482, Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa - subclass 186 or Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (SESR) visa - subclass 494.

Eligibility Criteria

These are the general requirements for applying for a graduate student visa. Do check the requirements of a specific stream for which you wish to apply:
  • Your age must be 50 years or less.
  • You need to meet the study requirements.
  • You can only apply for this visa onshore that is when you are in Australia.
  • You need to apply for this visa within 6 months of receiving the results of your previous course.
  • You must have adequate health insurance for the duration of the visa.
  • You must sign the Australian value statement.
  • You should not owe any debt to the Australian government.
  • You should not have a visa refusal or visa cancelled earlier.

What are the Duration and Conditions?

These are the duration and conditions for the two streams of the temporary work visa Australia for graduate students:
  • The duration of the graduate workstream is 18 months.
  • The duration of the post-study work (PSW) stream is between 2 and 4 years.

Conditions for Graduate Work Stream
  • The nominated occupation must be on SOL or skilled occupations list.
  • You must meet the study requirements.
  • You need to lodge a skill assessment and clear it before the visa can be granted.

Conditions for Post-Study Work (PSW) stream
  • You should have applied for your first Australian student visa on or after 5 November 2011.
  • You must meet the study requirements, which includes a Bachelor's degree or higher.
  • You should have obtained your degree with a CRICOS registered education provider.

These are only the general and common conditions for a graduate temporary work visa. For a detailed list of the conditions and requirements that are subject to change or update, you can check the website of the department of home affairs. You can also consult with our graduate visa expert and discuss your specific case.

Why Choose Our Visa Consultant to Apply for Your Australian Temporary Graduate Visa in Perth?

Emaus Migration is the leading graduate visa agent in Perth, WA. We provide your guidance and support to file your temporary graduate visa application with all the relevant documents. As a MARA-registered agency, we abide by the MARA code of conduct and provide you with honest services at fair prices. As a reliable visa consulting agency, we ensure that your application is complete in every respect and is filed as per the guidelines. Our visa counsellors stay abreast of all changes and updates to the student visa and immigration.
These are some of the reasons that have made us the first choice of the students applying for a graduate visa:
  • Comprehensive services
  • Fair pricing
  • Honest assessment
  • Personalised service
  • Experienced visa agents
  • High success rate
  • Timely updates
  • Liaison with immigration authorities

For a free assessment of your temporary graduate visa application in Perth, WA by the experts at Emaus Migration, mail us the details at emausmigration@gmail.com. You can also call us on 0424 437 251 or +61 424 437 251 (from overseas) for queries or book a consultation with our student visa specialists.