There are several types of employer sponsored visas.

Employer Nomination Scheme

This is a permanent resident visa for skilled workers. To be eligible, you have to be nominated by an approved Australian employer. You have to meet the skills, qualification and the English language requirements unless you are exempted from the same. The visa has several streams and you can apply for any depending on the eligibility. It allows you to qualify to apply for Australian citizenship.

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa

This visa enables regional employers to address their labour shortages within their region by sponsoring skilled workers where they cannot source for an appropriate or suitable skilled Australian worker.

The applicant concerned must be :

  • Nominated by an approved sponsor;
  • Have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list;
  • Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation;
  • Be under 45 and meet the English language requirement.

The visa is a five year visa and the visa holder will have to work and study only in the designated regional area of Australia. They can apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the visa grant.

Work Visa

It is a temporary visa and allows a skilled worker to work in the nominated occupation for the approved sponsor/employer. You will have to be sponsored and nominated by the employer.

The duration of the visa will depend on which occupation list the applicant falls into. The applicant must have the required skills necessary to fill the position. It allows the holder to bring the family members and also travel in and out of Australia.

If the occupation falls into the short term list then the visa will be for up to two years and a further two years may be allowed. However, note that there is no pathway for a permanent visa.

If the occupation falls into the medium or long term list then the visa may be for up to four years. Upon satisfaction of certain criteria, the employer may be able to sponsor the visa holder for a permanent employer sponsored visa.